Subject: Re: opt_fileassoc.h missing -> kernel build problem
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/25/2006 21:23:20
--- Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 02:37:15PM -0400, Gary Thorpe wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just upgraded the local sources using SUP to see if that would
> solve
> > the problem, but it has persisted. It seems an option is not
> specified
> > in the config files that is required (and would generate
> > opt_fileassoc.h). Checking GENERIC, these options are present:
>
> No, what you need to do is re-run config. These two lines in
> conf/files:
>
> defflag opt_fileassoc.h         FILEASSOC
> defparam opt_fileassoc.h        FILEASSOC_NHOOKS
>
> will cause config to generate the file.
>
> The file is always generated, even if these options aren't selected.
> That's the point; the opt_*.h files change when certain options
> change,
> permitting normal Makefile dependencies to correctly rebuild parts of
> the
> kernel after the change.
>
> Take care,
>
> Bill

I completely removed the build tree in between source updates. Using
build.sh should always re-run config in that case shouldn't it? I
thought build.sh should run config since the destination for the
objects would not exist. In fact, the dependency stage cannot begin
until config is run and it does in fact start.

Running nbconfig in the tools dirtectory manually seems to resolve the
problem. However, removing the tree and trying to use build.sh results
in the same issue. Why doesn't build.sh do the correct thing?