Subject: Re: Latest -current INSTALL kernel reboots
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Michael Rauch <mrauch@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/11/2006 17:12:21
Hi,

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 12:52:48PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 01:43:22PM +0300, Martti Kuparinen wrote:
> > Is anyone else having problems with the INSTALL kernel?
>
> Can you try a kernel with options DDB and makeoptions COPTS="-Os"?
> The new gcc is fairly aggressive compacting data when -Os is used,
> probably some assembler code does not expect this.
>
> DDB should point to the culprit, if not, a binary search compiling
> files wiht -O2 and -Os needs to be done.

DDB doesn't work (the INSTALL kernel is also compiled with options DDB),
but I could narrow it down to "machdep.c". If I set
COPTS.machdep.c+=-O2 in sys/conf/Makefile.kern.inc
the kernel boots successfully.

Unfortunately, that's not the area where I would understand much of the
code and do any further debugging, but if there's anything else which I
can test, I'd be happy to do that.

Best regards,

Michael