Subject: clcs audio problem
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Henry R. Bent <Henry.Bent@oberlin.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/07/2006 08:28:55
Hello all,

I have an i386 box running 3.99.18 from mid-April that has been having
audio problems with the clcs driver.  Until very recently the sound
quality would remain good for a long time, maybe 10 or 15 days, until it
slowly started to degrade into ringing digitized mush.  Now it will remain
good for day or so until it very suddenly changes for the worse.  A reboot
always fixes things, but I use NetBSD so that I don't have to reboot :-)

My questions are as follows:

-Does anyone know what is happening and why?  Could this be a hardware
problem?
-Should I try updating to the latest -current?  My experiences with it on
other machines lead me to believe that it is not at all stable right now,
so I am rather hesitant to do that.

Here is a dmesg excerpt:

clcs0 at pci2 dev 8 function 0: Cirrus Logic CS4280 CrystalClear Audio
Interface (rev. 0x01)
clcs0: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
clcs0: interrupting at irq 10
clcs0: ac97: Crystal CS4297A codec; headphone, 20 bit DAC, 18 bit ADC,
Crystal Semi 3D
clcs0: ac97: ext id 200<AMAP>
clcs0: ac97: using inverted AC97_POWER_EAMP bit
audio0 at clcs0: full duplex, independent
midi0 at clcs0: CS4280 MIDI UART

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

-Henry Bent