Subject: Re: server locking up
To: Mark Davies <>
From: Skylar Thompson <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/06/2006 07:46:48

Mark Davies wrote:
> One of our file servers (running 3.99.11) has started locking up every =
> of days.  It gets into a state where any process will run fine until it=
> to access the disk at which point it stops responding.  Updating the ke=
> to a current from a couple of weeks ago makes no difference.
> I've had zero luck in tracking down whats causing this.
> However I set up an external-mode watchdog to panic the machine if a lo=
op of
> 	sleep 20; ls -l /a/local/directory > /dev/null ; wdogctl -t
> failed to tickle the watchdog for a minute, so I now have a core dump f=
> such a panic.  I'd like some suggestions on what to look for/how to pok=
e at=20
> this core dump to try to find whats happening.
> cheers
> mark
>  =20
Are you using filesystem snapshots? I've had this problem on FreeBSD
when I used filesystem snapshots with certain RAID controllers (Dell
PERC 3/di and Mylex AcceleRAID). I never tracked it down, and ended up
giving up on snapshots altogether.

-- Skylar Thompson (

Version: GnuPG v1.4.3 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -