Subject: Re: is this a linux users' FUD spread?
To: Timo Schoeler <>
From: matthew sporleder <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/05/2006 16:27:49
On 7/5/06, Timo Schoeler <> wrote:
> hi,
> i just came across reading this
> and am curious now what developers would like to say in this case... is
> it just FUD?

Well, I'm certainly no expert on low-level stuff like this, but if you look at:

You will see that NetBSD's malloc.c only mentions "unsigned"
/* Set when initialization has been done */
static unsigned malloc_started;

/* Number of free pages we cache */
static unsigned malloc_cache = 16;

And here:
/* How many slots in the page directory */
static unsigned	malloc_ninfo;

And none of those are unsigned on size_t.  Darwin's malloc.c has
-many- more references to the word "unsigned".  Also, it's plain to
see that the malloc.c's from the two operating systems are -very-

As such, I would go with FUD, which can also be gleaned from the tone
of the article referenced.  Example:

"I can't believe they fucked it up
ilja, 03:40h
A while ago I spend some time in the osx heap allocator. Man there is
so much crap in there, unbelieable. "