Subject: Re: NetBSD 3.99.21 doesn't build on i386
To: KlinT <klint@klintcentral.net>
From: MKD <claudiomkd@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/03/2006 11:24:55
KlinT wrote:
> You're welcome claudio ... :D
>
> I understand why you want GCC4 ... But right now, i haven't succeed to
> build a "valid" distribution ( 3.99.21 / GCC4 ) without using GCC
> 3.3.6 ( latest version before the 'switch' to gcc4 )
>
> The only workarround I've found is to first build release with
> HAVE_GCC=3, then install this release to another HDD ( temporaly ) ...
> And build again but using HAVE_GCC=4 ...
>
> This works for me ...
>
> I think that if you really want a fully functionnal "gcc4" based
> release, you have to build the release again using the one you build
> with "HAVE_GCC=4" ... You can also try HAVE_GDB=6 ... in order to have
> a complete up to dat release :D
>
> The idea is to compile more than one time the GCC in order to be well
> optimized. This is the method used in "LFS" ( Linux From Scratch ) ...
> Oupps LINUX :D
>
> Let me know if it works for you ...
>
> Best regards
Well, you are not going to believe but, right now I tried to build
3.99.21 with this options in mk.conf:

HAVE_GCC=3
CFLAGS=-march=i686 -mcpu=i686
COPTS=-march=i686 -mcpu=i686
CXXFLAGS=-march=i686 -mcpu=i686

But, even before building anything, during the TOOLS-build process, it
stops, with this error:

nbmake: don't know how to make
/usr/src/tools/groff/obj/build/src/libs/libgroff/libgroff.a. Stop

ERROR: Failed to make dependall tools
*** BUILD ABORTED ***

Can you believe that?

--