Subject: Re: no pxeboot com0 file? Re: no amd64 in (any) binary HEAD?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/23/2006 16:34:48
On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 08:32:59PM +0100, David Laight wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 01:03:14PM -0400, George Georgalis wrote:
>> The goal here is to get an install with networking, so serious
>> focus can be made on the integrated bge interface driver. An axe
>> usb adapter is providing connectivity to a 3.0 i386 usb cdrom
>> install (ftp works). But the target install is having keyboard
>> issues.  The keyboard does not work at all for the 3.0 amd64 usb
>> cdrom installer. I can get bios via serial and I tried setting
>> "consdev com2" and "consdev com2kbd" at the boot prompt, but as
>> soon as the kernel loads, I loose serial.
>
>At what point does it fail?

at the passing of the checksum. the boot continues on the vga
display. at one point there is a general "problem with usb" and
both devices are disabled (network and cdrom), so setup to start
ssh (rescue), didn't help.

>What baud rate are you trying to use?  Maybe the kernel resets it!

I think the bios sets it at 115200, but that is changeable, to any
of the standard speeds less than that, do I need to cut it back?

>It is also possibly that the changes to make the kernel use the
>bios baud rate are only in current.

Not sure what that means for me, when I try pxe I'll set it =0,
per your message, I'll be using the current binaries I have which
are 3 weeks old. prob that kernel too, unless head builds.

>> Going to try pxe to com as I wait for response here.  Is there
>> anyway to use the cdrom installer from serial port? (eg boot
>> parm)?
>
>You may be able to run 'installboot -e' on the floppy image that
>the CD actually boots.

I think I'll try it on pxe first...

// George