Subject: Re: HEADS UP: timecounters (branch simonb-timecounters) merged into
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: Frank Kardel <kardel@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/23/2006 08:52:05
Daniel Carosone wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 01:10:26AM +0200, Frank Kardel wrote:
>

>>The FreeBSD implementation of Poul-Henning Kamp's timecounters
>>was ported and committed to NetBSD-current.
>>[..]
>>Further information:
>>   Timecounter Paper: http://phk.freebsd.dk/pubs/timecounter.pdf
>>   Current Status: http://www.kardel.name/timecounters-status.html
>>   NTP Nanokernel: http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/kern.html
>>

>I noticed that there are several manpages in section 9 that don't seem
>to reflect these changes, eg time/mono_time(9), and no manpages for
>the new api, eg getnanotime().
>

>I also don't see manpages/docs mentioned on the todo/status pages.
>
>Were they written and just overlooked during the merge?  Do they still
>need to be written? Were they just overlooked entirely?

Not overlooked entirely. They are there in form of FreeBSD sources
that need some integration. As I am not too fluent with the man page
infrastructure I gladly accepted help offered to me. Probably
that good soul didn't yet commit.

Well what needs actually be done?:
    - (port) get microtime.9 from FreeBSD (microtime and friends
description)
    - (port) get time.9 (as timecounter.9?)from FreeBSD (timecounter
description)
    - (port) pick up the timecounter document from doc in FreeBSD
(referenced in the
      above manual pages)
    - (new) figure out a way to cope with our split view as some platforms
      are converted already and some are not. This can be in documentation
      or by using the correct subset of man pages. Alternatively we can
avoid
      that work by converting fully.
    - (extend) extend options.4 for any useful defines (currently I think
      there is only TIMECOUNTER_DEBUG)
    - (new) devise a man page (or pages) describing each counter and it
pros and cons

note to self: need to write geodecntr.4

Dan, could you quickly point me were I could drop the todos from above -
doc/TODO
doesn't really seem right.

>--
>Dan.