Subject: Re: X (was Re: Call for testers: i386 ACPI suspend/resume support)
To: <>
From: Chapman Flack <nblists@anastigmatix.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/21/2006 10:40:25
Michal Suchanek wrote:
> But often X is not performing reset of the card even on startup
> because it is not known how to get the card into an usable state
> without the card's BIOS or other external tool preinitializing it.

If it's the built-in video adapter we're talking about, shouldn't
that usable state be ensured by the AML snippets we call on suspend
and resume?

Even if the AML code doesn't know how to set up whatever funky mode
X was using, if we have reset to a BIOS-supported text mode before
suspending can we not rely on the AML code to get that right on resume?

-Chap