Subject: X (was Re: Call for testers: i386 ACPI suspend/resume support)
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/21/2006 09:13:34
Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com> writes:
>> This is not surprising. S3 is allowed to power off *everything* but
>> memory, so the state of the video chip is lost. On restore we do a
>> reset of the video, but we don't know what the state of the chip was
>> before sleep. X effectively manages the drivers entirely in userland,
>> so unless X decides to re-initialize the display it is going to be
>> screwed up.
>
> This is another example of why, IMO, the architecture of X talking
> directly to registers is an incredibly bad idea.

It might (or might not) be a bad idea, but we simply do not have the
manpower to deal with the vast flow of new video cards that arrive
with time. We have to use the X.org drivers because by doing that, we
get to piggyback on all their manpower. Unless you have a way to fix
that problem, even if the current system sucks rocks, we'll have to
continue using it.

Perry