Subject: Re: Call for testers: i386 ACPI suspend/resume support
To: None <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/20/2006 11:46:18
Things are getting better -- it's almost to the point where I could run it
full-time on my laptop.  (My next note will discuss some user-level
issues.)

Below is some of the dmesg from some tests on my T42.  The good news is
that wm0 and ath0 are both resuming properly.  I've annotated the rest
with # lines *below* the messages.

acpibat0: battery info: Panasonic, LION, IBM-92P1068,   477
acpiacad0: AC adapter online.
#These two lines appeared on my console when I ran 'envstat -r'.  I assume #they're debugging for the acpibat and acpiacad devices.  It would be nice to be #able to capture the battery serial number programmatically, so that a daemon #could track battery capacity.

acpibut0: sleep button pressed.
#That was from hitting Fn+F4.  There should presumably be a default script
#in /etc/powerd/scripts for that (as well as for lid_switch and acadapter).

acpi0: entering state 3
pckbd0: suspending...
acpi0: good morning!
uhci0: cannot start
uhci1: cannot start
uhci2: cannot start
ehci0: config timeout
ehci0: BIOS has given up ownership
#I can't tell if the uhci and ehci messages were generated at suspend or
#resume time, though of course I saw them after resumption.  Note also that
#they're different and that there is no echi0 message in the next batch.

atabus0: resuming...
atabus1: resuming...
pckbd0: resuming...
pckbdprobe: reset response 0xfa
pckbd_enable: command error
#I assume this message is related to the "key up" issue.  A bunch of
#newlines printed, not surprisingly.

uhci2: host controller halted
uhci1: host controller halted
uhci0: host controller halted
#Again, I don't know if these messages are for suspend or resume.
#Note the lack of an echi message -- and for other reasons, I suspect
#that ehci would not be working at this point.

acpi0: resuming
acpi0: entering state 3
#This was a second suspend; I wanted to test ath0 coming back.  The first one was testing wm0.  Both worked!