Subject: Re: ntpd fails to establish connection with server
To: Sverre Froyen <>
From: Frank Kardel <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/17/2006 14:27:47
Sverre Froyen wrote:

>On Thursday 15 June 2006 16:52, you wrote:
>>>iwi0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>>>       ssid fesk nwkey *****
>>>       powersave off
>>>       address: 00:0e:35:38:b0:33
>>>       media: IEEE802.11 autoselect
>>>       status: no network
>>>       inet netmask 0xff000000 broadcast
>>                            ^^^^^^ thats most unusual and could be very
>>well the culprit.
>> is not a valid IP address as it is used for IN_ADDRANY.
>>please pick a real one. or do "ifconfig iwi0 delete"
>That was it.  Deleting the zero address on the unused interface makes ntpd
>This, however, begs the question what to do about network interfaces that are
>not being used.  The above interface configuration is the result of a
>standard boot sequence that uses dhclient.  I suppose I could put something
>in rc.local to reconfigure unused interfaces, but is seems to me that the
>regular boot sequence ought to handle this more gracefully.
I committed a fix to ntpd to ignore those interfaces.

A note for mobile or otherwise dynamic ntp users (those
with changing interface sets and addresses):
The current official version of ntp (4.2.2) is in NetBSD-current
right now. This version only scans the interface configuration
at startup - thus does not detect any interface changes afterwards.

The next ntp release (4.2.4) will contain code to dynamically
re-configure whenever the interface configuration changes.
This version will be imported when available.

Daring ntp addicts might want to take a look at the ntp-dev
series at - caution 4.2.3p2 is known not to compile.
Wait at least for 4.2.3.p3.

Oh, the ntp-dev gurantees are similar to the terms of
NetBSD-current - so don't be surprised :-)