Subject: Re: sendmail removal and getting migration advice right
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@twofifty.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/16/2006 08:02:21
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp> writes:
>> perry@piermont.com wrote:
>>> You do have to run a Postfix daemon to do this, but it does not have
>>> to listen to the network (and that is in fact the way we ship by
>>> default). The config to "just punt everything to machine X" is
>>> trivial. there is nothing heavyweight or hackish about it.
>>
>> Could we have such examples (which may be trivial for you, but
>> not for all people) in share/example/postfix as we did for sendmail?
>
> We don't need them for something like this. Sendmail is complicated
> and hard to use. Postfix is very easy to use.
>
> 1) Read through main.cf -- it is extensively commented.
> 2) Set the variables the way you want.
>
> It really is that easy. Most people are scared because after decades
> of being intimidated by sendmail.cf syntax they assume it must be hard
> to make Postfix do things, but it really is easy to make it do
> straightforward things.

The problem I have with Postfix is that it wouldn't do complicated
things. I remember when spamassassin wasn't supported very well in
Postfix and I certainly couldn't do the trick of forwarding the mail to
another machine for scanning and then getting it back. I'm sure there's
some workaround by now, but there's all sorts of crazy things people do
with sendmail that aren't trivial with Postfix. And trying to find docs
for the complicated things was nearly impossible.

I should probably retry Postfix, but I just haven't found a reason to
quit using sendmail. Core made it more difficult for a short time, but
it still hasn't reached the pain point.

--
Hisashi T Fujinaka - htodd@twofifty.com