Subject: Re: sendmail removal and getting migration advice right
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/16/2006 10:24:10
Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp> writes:
> perry@piermont.com wrote:
>> You do have to run a Postfix daemon to do this, but it does not have
>> to listen to the network (and that is in fact the way we ship by
>> default). The config to "just punt everything to machine X" is
>> trivial. there is nothing heavyweight or hackish about it.
>
> Could we have such examples (which may be trivial for you, but
> not for all people) in share/example/postfix as we did for sendmail?

We don't need them for something like this. Sendmail is complicated
and hard to use. Postfix is very easy to use.

1) Read through main.cf -- it is extensively commented.
2) Set the variables the way you want.

It really is that easy. Most people are scared because after decades
of being intimidated by sendmail.cf syntax they assume it must be hard
to make Postfix do things, but it really is easy to make it do
straightforward things.

For example, take the question "how do I just forward all my mail
somewhere" is answered inside the file itself:

  # INTERNET OR INTRANET

  # The relayhost parameter specifies the default host to send mail to
  # when no entry is matched in the optional transport(5) table. When
  # no relayhost is given, mail is routed directly to the destination.
  #
  # On an intranet, specify the organizational domain name. If your
  # internal DNS uses no MX records, specify the name of the intranet
  # gateway host instead.
  #
  # In the case of SMTP, specify a domain, host, host:port, [host]:port,
  # [address] or [address]:port; the form [host] turns off MX lookups.
  #
  # If you're connected via UUCP, see also the default_transport
  # parameter.
  #
  #relayhost = $mydomain
  #relayhost = gateway.my.domain
  #relayhost = uucphost
  #relayhost = [an.ip.add.ress]

So you just read that, follow the instructions (i.e. set relayhost to
the name of your mail server) and everything gets punted there.

The most important thing here is *try it*. Many people are scared of
postfix because, as I said, they assume it must take hours to figure
out, but it doesn't. You can be up and running within minutes.

Also, share/example/postfix already has lots of docs already for
legitimately complicated things.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com