Subject: Re: Latest dovecot package completely broken
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/14/2006 17:51:05
On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 08:41:00AM -0300, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
> I've been having issues with dovecot lately, so I decided to upgrade to
> the latest version available in pkgsrc (1.0 beta9). After building and
> installing, the application failed to start. I forget the exact error
> strings, but something like 'socket() failed' followed by 'listen(993)
> failed'.
>
> Dug into the code, and sure enough, it was doing absolutely brain-dead
> things like this:
>
>    memset(&so, 0, sizeof(so));
>    fd = socket(so.sin.sin_family, SOCK_STREAM, 0);
>
> Hard-coding sin_family to be AF_INET after memset solved my immediate
> problem, but clearly this dovecot release and package could never have
> worked for anybody. Or am I going crazy here?

It worked fine for me on my testing machine (with ssl enabled), so I
committed the update to pkgsrc.  But then when I deployed it on my
production setup I got the same error as you, so I reverted that machine
to 1.0beta8nb1. :-(  I haven't looked into it any further.  It did work
though when I disabled imaps and only started the non-SSL parts, you
could use that as a work-around.

But please post your findings on the relevant dovecot mailing lists.

	Geert