Subject: Re: head stable?
To: Greg Troxel <>
From: Garrett D'Amore <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/2006 14:04:22
Greg Troxel wrote:
> Is the head of NetBSD cvs currently stable/reasonable?   I've been
> hesitant to upgrade due to the hearing about the switch to gcc4.

There are issues with gcc4 still probably, but you aren't obligated to
use it.  AFAIK, no port has officially switched to gcc4 yet.

That said, there has been a lot of activity on HEAD recently.  gcc
3.3.6, timecounters, sendmail removal, and kauth have all gone in
recently.  I don't think any of these have gone entirely without
hitches, but you wouldn't expect that, would you?  I wouldn't
necessarily recommend upgrading a production to -current now, but that's
the nature of -current, isn't it?

All that said, I've not had any seriously bad breakage on *my* systems
with -current, but I tend to work more with embedded MIPS hw so YMMV.

OTOH, there is the netbsd-3 branch which should be a lot more stable.
IIUC, we're about ready to tag a 3.0.1 branch.

General Dynamics C4 Systems
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191