Subject: Re: Filesystem using tags, not folders?
To: None <>
From: Antoine Reilles <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/12/2006 15:04:06

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 02:48:11PM +0200, Michal Suchanek wrote:
> On 6/9/06, Kyrre Nygard <> wrote:
> >
> >Hello!
> >
> >Just a wild thought here ...
> >
> >After noticing how much simpler it is using tags, for instance
> >with my bookmarks at -- compared to hours of
> >frustration trying find the right combination of folders and
> >sub folders in my Firefox' bookmarks.html, I was wondering
> >if the same approach could be used to arrange the UNIX filesystem
> >hierarchy, from the root and up. This is just a radical thought,
> >not yet an idea even -- but if somebody would be willing to think
> >with me -- maybe we could make a big change.
> It sure would be nice. To make it work with posix you could show the
> tags as subdirectories. Copy/move could be mapped to add tag/add new
> tag&remove this tag.
> However, you would need some filters to make the directory structure
> sane. Such as marking some tags as 'important' so that they show in
> root, and instead of showing all files in root put them under a
> special tag such as 'everything'.
> Also the navigation would need something better than just the
> dircetory emulation.
you might be interested in the Logic File System
_html/main.html) and
or in camelis
which is an implementation for a Logical information system

LFS is quite fun, since it allows to use the LFS as a "normal" shell,
all path request (e.g. "cd photos") being translated to logic queries
over the meta data structure.
Unfortunately, it has the form of a linux kernel module, but may
probably be ported one day...

Best regards,

Version: GnuPG v1.4.3 (Darwin)