Subject: Re: "sendmail" configuration file issue should be fixed
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/2006 14:00:44
John Nemeth said:

>On Oct 30,  9:13am, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>}
>} I just had a thought.
>} In view of the fact that sendmail was removed, maybe the recommendation
>} should be that if you want to use any mail daemon, you should install it
>} yourself, from pkgsrc, since you cannot count on programs in the base
>} system to stay around, nor configurations and files to be left alone?
>}
>} And if we can draw this conclusion, why include any mail daemon at all?
>}
>} What other parts of the base system risks the same effects?
>
>     UUCP is probably up next.  I believe the plan is to move it to
>pkgsrc.

However, NetBSD does need a mail daemon of some sort. Postfix is pretty
stable. Without the ability to send and receive mail, one might not even
know about pkgsrc.

If there is no mail, them /etc/security, /etc/daily, etc might as well be
removed as they would then be effectively writing to >/dev/null.

How high an interest is there in gimpy UNIX?
--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com
		<http://www.rmkhome.com/>