Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/distrib/sets/lists
To: Douglas Wade Needham <>
From: Brett Lymn <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/02/2006 21:38:52
On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 01:16:29PM -0400, Douglas Wade Needham wrote:
> What I will say is that at this point, I
> certainly cannot see any reason a discussion about the possible
> removal of sendmail could not have been carried out on a list such as
> this, just as other feature changes are often discussed.

The issue was discussed.  Unfortunately sendmail vs others is one of
those polarising issues.  There really is no "right" solution, there
will always be a group of people that will be disenfranchised whatever
way this went.  I suspect most people will be happy just to have a MTA
that forwards their mail, for the people that require a specific
feature set then there is always pkgsrc - if that doesn't cut it I am
sure that sendmail builds from source without any hassle.

FWIW my preference would have been to leave sendmail in the tree but
the it was decided it should go.  I shall get over it - pkgsrc or hand
built will do me.

Brett Lymn