Subject: Re: Lots of crashing with audio?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Baird <cjb@brushtail.apana.org.au>
List: current-users
Date: 06/02/2006 06:28:42
 > Synopsis: Recent -current crashing LOTS when using audio.
 > Rock-solid without audio.

I've _never_ seen stability with audio in NetBSD, _ever_ (since 1994..)
Across numerous x86 CPUs, motherboards/chipsets, and even with USB
audio devices. This is without changing the COPTS for the kernel.
The only reliable means of sound output I've discovered is to esound
across the network to another (non-NetBSD) machine.

The most stable audio I've experienced was to compile MPlayer with
"--disable-mmx2" back when I had an AthlonXP2000+; then, the MTBF was
into the hours. (The A64 I upgraded to no longer works reliably with
this..)

System crashes were a regular occurance with audio input as well,
through on-board, PCI, and USB devices.

When I saw
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-announce/2006/04/27/0000.html
...I thought my prayers had been answered, but that was not to be the
case. :(

--
Chris,,