Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/distrib/sets/lists
To: Hisashi T Fujinaka <>
From: Rhialto <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/01/2006 15:52:34
On Thu 01 Jun 2006 at 15:26:40 +1000, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> Absolutely.  We expect there to be some fallout, and concrete
> constructive information from users about what breaks for them is
> valuable.

I haven't tried to convert my sendmail configuration (which isn't very
complex, I'd say) to postfix other than mentally (while reading through
al settings in, but here are the stumbling blocks I foresee:

- TLS. (At least the Postfix in -current seems to handle it, the one in
  3.0 doesn't)
- A central mailer setup, with sender domain rewriting (i.e. sender
  addresses like converted into
  ( FEATURE(`allmasquerade') FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')
  FEATURE(`masquerade_entire_domain') ) and local delivery for the whole
  domain (i.e. for * Despite documentation of "mydestination"
  speaking of "What domains to receive mail for" it seems it is about
  hostnames rather than domain names, and I want to (be able to) spefify
  whole domains (or at least one).
- milters: SpamAssassin/spamd in particular. I have seen web pages that
  seem to explain things, but they don't appear to have per-user configs
  and bouncing of spam with high scores at the DATA phase (i.e. before
  finally accepting it).
- Bouncing of mail with invalid Message-Id headers (I wrote a simple
  Header rule for it in sendmail:

    # Add a rule to check for valid message ids.
    # They must contain at least < @ . >

    HMessage-Id: $>CheckMessageId

    R$*			$#error $: 553 Header Error

- Use of blacklists like to bounce mail at
  FROM phase (i.e. even before the DATA phase).

This may just be a lack of documentation in the obvious places, but
these issues remain questions after at least having fully read
/etc/postfix/ and grepping though /usr/share/examples/postfix/*.

Maybe I'll think of more.

\X/ rhialto/at/        -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.