Subject: Re: postinstall and sendmail removal
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@NetBSD.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 06/01/2006 00:54:00
On Oct 21, 12:41pm, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
} On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 05:56:54PM +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
} > After the sendmail removal, "postinstall fix obsolete" wants to remove
} > the /etc/mail dir, however "postconf -d alias_database" still has:

     This is an extremely bad idea.  If people are using sendmail from
pkgsrc, they will most likely be using /etc/mail.  Even if not,
deleting people's configs before they get a chance to migrate them
either to postfix or the pkgsrc version of sendmail would be very bad.

} > > alias_database = hash:/etc/mail/aliases
} > Should we move the default aliasdb to /etc/postfix, or un-mark the
} > /etc/mail dir as obsolete?

     YES!

} I just noticed postinstall also removed the /etc/mail/aliases itself

     See above.

} (I only had the compiled aliases.db left).

     You can use praliases to dump it.  Of course, you won't get any
comments.

}-- End of excerpt from Geert Hendrickx