Subject: Re: something got wrong with dhcpd!!!
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Chapman Flack <nblists@anastigmatix.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/26/2006 16:05:08

And on Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> I think Wojciech is pointing at the last sentence in:
>
>  The  next-server statement is used to specify the host address of the
>  server from which the initial boot file (specified  in  the  filename
>  statement)  is  to  be  loaded.    Server-name should be a numeric IP
>  address or a domain name.   If no next-server parameter applies to  a
>  given client, the DHCP server's IP address is used.

The behavior was changed in ISC DHCP release 3.0.3, which was imported
into our tree in August 2005. If no next-server parameter applies, an
address of 0.0.0.0 is supplied, not the server's address. The change is
described in src/dist/dhcp/RELNOTES for Changes since 3.0.2.

ISC has removed the incorrect sentence from the man page for 3.0.4,
and I have just done so in -current (PR 33565). If a next-server
address needs to be supplied to the client, even if it is the same
as that of the DHCP server, next-server must be specified.

-Chap