Subject: auich crashing?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/25/2006 23:52:46
I have a laptop with an ICH3.  It has been beautiful for years.  Recently, it
started crashing, badly, whenever I play a lot of audio; say, if I play an
album's worth of MP3 files.  At the end of this, the system is Clearly Hosed.
Symptoms range from shell programs aborting with "Can't create pipe: try again
later" to "Bad address" trying to run other apps.  Eventually the system
panics.

I tried backing out the 1.102-1.107 changes to auich.c and it seems to have
helped some, but it still happens.

Trying with a USB audio device (uaudio*, in particular a Griffin iMic)
produces no visible problems at all.

Conclusion:  Something must be wrong, but I don't know what.

auich0: measured ac97 link rate at 47314 Hz, will use 48000 Hz
audio0 at auich0: full duplex, mmap, independent

-s