Subject: Re: RFC: moving src/common to src/sys/common (with patch)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/12/2006 12:04:36
On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 11:49:26AM +0200, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 11:45:15AM +0200, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 12:55:08AM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> > > Why not just make a cvs module that includes all the parts that the kernel
> > > needs?
> >
> > How would it look like?
>
> kernel &sys &usr.bin/config &usr.bin/genassym &common
>
> in CVSROOT/modules.  Or something close to that.

Hmm. Would the checked-out tree look like
kernel/
	sys/
	usr.bin/
		config
		genassym
	common

?

But the whole checked-out tree (src) would look like now?
src/
	bin/
	common/
	usr.bin/
		foo
		bar
		config
		genassym
	sys/

IMHO, this has usability issues, especially for people which are not
familiar modules. (Maybe I'm one of those :-))

For example, what tree would be distributed as syssrc.tgz ? It would make
sense to distribute the checked-out "kernel" module as syssrc.tgz, but
then it won't be anymore a subtree of the complete sources.

Also, if somebody checks-out the kernel module and later wants to have the
complete src/,  would he have to re-download what the contents of kernel/?

(It also does not do what I wanted, that is to have the sources to
build the kernel, but not to the sources of the required tools. But since
usr.bin/config and genassym are small, I could live with that.)

Pavel