Subject: Re: RFC: moving src/common to src/sys/common (with patch)
To: Christos Zoulas <>
From: Pavel Cahyna <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/10/2006 06:54:43

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 12:55:08AM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <>,
> Rui Paulo  <> wrote:
> >On 2006.05.09 23:33:30 +0200, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>=20
> >> the kernel build -current-ly includes the directory src/common. This m=
> >> that it is no longer sufficient to check out src/sys to build the kern=
> >> Also maintaining it with revision control tools is more complicated. (=
> >> example, if one wants to mirror the repository of kernel sources, it is
> >> impossible to mirror just one directory in the repository.)
> >>=20
> >> For those reasons, I would like to move src/common to src/sys/common.
> >
> >I thought they were placed in src/common because they can be shared
> >by the kernel and by the userland.
> >
> >What's the problem with mirroring two directories instead of one ?
> Nothing. Because people have complained that they might forget.
> The fact of the matter is that the majority of people mirror the
> whole tree these days, and src/common is one of the most stable
> parts of the tree.

Maybe, but I think people often check out and compile kernel sources only.
E.g. users of the stable releases.

Making a feature branch of only the kernel is also easier if the kernel is
contained in one directory.

> What about config and genassym? Should those be moved in sys too, since
> they need to match the kernel?

No, because you do not need to check them out to compile a kernel.

I already mentioned users of stable binary releases. Another use case is
to check-out the whole tree and build the tools, but do it only once and
check-out the kernel source multiple times to be able to work on multiple
features. Having more directories is quite inconvenient in this case.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (NetBSD)