Subject: Re: GeForce2 MX, vesa XFree86 driver and "Not using mode "1280x1024"
To: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@atlas.ipv6.stack.nl>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/25/2006 17:50:46
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Martijn van Buul wrote:

> It occurred to me that Brian A. Seklecki wrote in gmane.os.netbsd.current:
>> On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Joel CARNAT wrote:
>>
>>> this worked well, thank you :)
>>> is there anything to do to get 24bpp with VESA or is this hardcoded in
>>
>> You're going to have a hard time noticing the difference between 24bpp and
>> 16bpp on any monitor worth connecting to a GeForce2 MX.
>
> What kind of crap attitude is this?

It's the attitude one develops after 7+ year dealing with the "crap" that
is XFree86 and the additional level of neglect resulting from running it
on *BSD.

XFree86 configs never "just works" as you expect; often a great many hours
are waisted getting video modes to work properly with non-standard
framebuffer/monitor combinations.

XFree86 is a 14 year old project and nothing has changed in that time in
terms of ease of initial setup.

I'm just saying you should be happy that you got it working.  I spent
weeks trying to get DVI support working with the ADC->DVI adapters on my
Apple Cinema Displays.

Don't kill the messenger.

~BAS