Subject: Re: GeForce2 MX, vesa XFree86 driver and "Not using mode "1280x1024"
To: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@atlas.ipv6.stack.nl>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/25/2006 11:19:50
Martijn van Buul wrote:
> It occurred to me that Brian A. Seklecki wrote in gmane.os.netbsd.current:
>
>> On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Joel CARNAT wrote:
>>

>>> this worked well, thank you :)
>>> is there anything to do to get 24bpp with VESA or is this hardcoded in
>>>
>> You're going to have a hard time noticing the difference between 24bpp and
>> 16bpp on any monitor worth connecting to a GeForce2 MX.
>>

> What kind of crap attitude is this?
>
> A GeForce2 MX is a great videocard, assuming that all you're really interested
> in is 2D. Considering that there's NO support for 3D in NetBSD *whatsoever*,
> I'd say that this is a valid assumption. Any recent nVidia card is no better.
>
> I used a GeForce2 MX until a few months ago, at which point I upgraded to an
> amd64 machine (Which didn't have AGP slots). I currently use a PCI-E radeon
> card (So it just *HAS* to be l33t!), which has a *considerably* worse video
> quality.
>
> So really, put your l33tism where the sun don't shine. It's unappropriate.

Heh.  I remember when a GeForce2 was considered the *bomb* for 3D
graphics.  I still have my old GeForce (original) card around, thinking
one day I might use it.  Its AGP though, so I guess that's pretty
unlikely now.  I think a lot of the hype with overclocking video boards,
super high performance video cards, etc. is just that -- hype.

I was pretty ticked when I found I couldn't even *buy* a cheap PCI-E
radeon board.  These days, even the "low end" radeon cards (e.g. Radeon
7000) are pretty damn good, unless you want to do some serious 3D rendering.

I'm using Radeon 7000 (PCI!) in some other stuff I'm doing, and I'm
pretty impressed with their feature set.  (Only one complaint -- they
have only a single overlay generator, so you can't use separate overlays
on separate displays.)

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191