Subject: Re: recent instability
To: Steven M. Bellovin <>
From: George Michaelson <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/2006 10:03:29
On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:53:53 -0400
"Steven M. Bellovin" <> wrote:

> Two days ago, I upgraded to 3.99.18 from 17 April.  Since then, my
> laptop has frozen once and spontaneously rebooted once.  Has anyone
> else seen that sort of instability?
> 		--Steven M. Bellovin,

I get freezes from mplayer sometimes. I can't yet track down what it
is. no kb, no mouse, nada. I think its a freeze,
not just a UI lock. Interestingly, the fn+<F-key> tasks to blank screen
still works, but suspend/resume keys don't.

I still can't resume X from console mode (ie run X twice without
reboot inbetween), it locks hard. I wish I knew a way to prevent that.
recover from a zzz/sleep is fine, its only when I drop out of X to
console mode it refuses to resume into X.