Subject: Re: Problems with utoppy(4) and utoppya(1)
To: Steve Woodford <scw@netbsd.org>
From: Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@iki.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/2006 08:12:38
> - The Toppy is notoriously fickle when it comes to USB cable
>   quality. Have you tried the same host and cable combination under
>   Altair?

No, I don't have Windows on my laptop or desktop PC :-) But I've tried puppy
in Linux and I had the same problems.

> Reading this again, I wonder if this is a character set issue. The 'get'
> is failing on the initial "read file" command sent to the Toppy.
>
> What happens if you 'put' a large file onto the Toppy? (Say a few MB) Can
> you then 'get' the file?

ROOT localhost:/var/tmp> dd if=/dev/zero of=100m.rec bs=1m count=100
ROOT localhost:/var/tmp> utoppya put 100m.rec DataFiles/100m.rec
ROOT localhost:/var/tmp> cd get
ROOT localhost:/var/tmp/get> utoppya get DataFiles/100m.rec
ROOT localhost:/var/tmp/get> diff 100m.rec ..
ROOT localhost:/var/tmp/get> utoppya rm DataFiles/100m.rec
ROOT localhost:/var/tmp/get> utoppya df
utoppya: open(/dev/utoppy0): Connection timed out

After this the whole Topfield was completely dead, I was unable to shutdown it
and I had to unplug the power cable...

ROOT localhost:/var/tmp> utoppya put Jags_EPG.tap ProgramFiles/Jags_EPG.tap
utoppya: open(/dev/utoppy0): Connection timed out
utoppya ls ProgramFiles
drw-           0 Jan  1 1970 02:00 ..
ROOT localhost:/var/tmp>
ROOT localhost:/var/tmp> utoppya put Jags_EPG.tap ProgramFiles/Jags_EPG.tap
ROOT localhost:/var/tmp> utoppya ls ProgramFiles
drw-           0 Jan  1 1970 02:00 ..
-rwx      258488 Apr  9 2006 11:19 Jags_EPG.tap
ROOT localhost:/var/tmp>

So sometimes is does work and sometimes doesn't. However, I've never been able
to get a file which is in GB range (normal TV recordings which are over 1 hour).

> Does the name "Soluttautujat.rec" contain any Finnish characters?

No, just [A-Za-z].

Martti