Subject: Re: Problem to 2.2 to 3.0_STABLE
To: None <ruben@cirdanetireth.com>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@uninett.no>
List: current-users
Date: 04/03/2006 18:36:06
> >> Hi, upgrading to 2.2 to 3.0_STABLE su and passwd does not work, I =
assume
> >> that problem comes from pam auth, no idea how to fix it.
> >>
> >> su workd fine with users, but it does not work with root!
> >>
> >> # passwd
> >> Unable to change auth token: Module is unknown
> >>
> >> # su
> >> Undefined symbol "_openpam_debug" referenced from COPY relocation =
in su

> >> Any idea how to fix it?
>
> ls -l /usr/bin/su
> -r-sr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  17975 Jan  2 07:05 /usr/bin/su
>
> Yes I can run postinstall and etcupdate, but it cannot change any (*p=
am*).

I'm not terribly familiar with pam, but I suspect at least the first
error above could occur if you've not properly populated /etc/pam.d/.
E.g. /etc/pam.d/passwd should contain the single line

password        include         system

(plus some comments...)  If you have correctly run postinstall and
etcupdate, you should have 19 files installed in /etc/pam.d/, "su"
being one of them.

The "nm" program tells me that _openpam_debug comes from
/usr/lib/libpam.so.0{,.0}.  Do you have those installed? (One is a
symlink to the other.)  My "su" has a dependency on libpam:

% ldd /usr/bin/su
/usr/bin/su:
        -lpam.0 =3D> /usr/lib/libpam.so.0
        -lcrypt.0 =3D> /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.0