Subject: Re: Automatically bumping device numbers
To: NetBSD-current <>
From: George Georgalis <>
List: current-users
Date: 03/26/2006 01:37:00
On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 04:52:14PM -0800, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>>> As far as ifconfig, ifconfig behaves that way (needing -a to show all
>>> interfaces) on other operating systems as well.  For example, without
>>> arguments, ifconfig on Solaris shows a help message, just as on NetBSD.
>> Linux net-tools, FreeBSD, DragonFly, and OpenBSD versions of ifconfig
>> print all interfaces with no arguments (-a is default).
>>  Jeremy C. Reed
>And -h to ifconfig apparently means something other than "help".
>Again, I see no point in the change and good reason not to change, but I
>don't feel strongly enough to have tussle over it.

yeah, I think there are some much better things to change, not
sure another way to get the usage/help that comes up with no
arguments and ifconfig

A much more interesting thing to fix would be crontab, so that it
respects EDITOR when VISUAL is set

[ -x "`which vim`" ] && alias vi='vim' && export EDITOR="vim" VISUAL="emacs" \
        && alias crontab='env VISUAL="vi" crontab

besides, wouldn't an output like this be more useful than ifconfig -a

wm0: inet netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast
wm0: inet netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast
lo0: inet netmask 0xff000000
lo0: inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
lo0: inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3

// George

George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator <IXOYE>< cell:646-331-2027