Subject: Re: auich / real player / suse 10.0 under current -> audio broken
To: Vincent <10.50@free.fr>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/25/2006 17:14:58
On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 23:04:45 +0100, Vincent <10.50@free.fr> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I recently upgraded to the suse100 packages. Problem : Realplayergold
> does not work anymore. There is no audio. I'm not sure whether this is
> related to a bug in the suse100 package, the kernel linux emulation or
> the recent changes in auich. The audio slider does change something,
> because I have like a faint noise each time I move it, so it behaves
> normally, yet, there is no input, juste the sound of the void.
>
> Worse, when I launch mplayer, nothing happens and I get a message like:
> /dev/audio device busy, no sound, even if no audio application runs.

I've had some trouble with a recent kernel about the volume levels.
What does mixerctl outputs.master say?  I've always set that in
rc.local (and /etc/apm/resume); recently, I found it at 127,127 and was
unable to change it.  Quite mysteriously, it's now working; I'm not
certain why, but I may have done a warm reboot from Windows.