Subject: Re: is obsolete?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: walt <wa1ter@myrealbox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/10/2006 02:46:00
Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> walt wrote:

>> Given that _KERNEL is defined (as it is in libgtop2) what is
>> cpp supposed to do with that line?...

> The short answer is that it is *wrong* for gtop to #define _KERNEL.
> That macro should *only* be used by kernel software.
>
> If gtop needs some definition that is protected by _KERNEL, then someone
> needs to figure out a proper way to export it to userland processes
> without requiring this macro.

I very much appreciate all of the patient responses to my questions.
I think I'm finally honing in on the source of my confusion.

If I can trouble all of you with one more bonehead question I may
be able to grasp this at last.

I believe you when you say that gtop shouldn't need to define _KERNEL.
That just makes common sense (even to me ;o)

So -- why put headers in /usr/include which honor the _KERNEL macro
in the first place if userland stuff shouldn't be messing with it?

Do you see why I'm confused about this?  Is there some degree of
inconsistency in the structure of /usr/include -- or am I just not
understanding something very basic?

Thanks!