Subject: Re: X11 logs fill disk
To: Jan Schaumann <>
From: Holger Rasch <Holger.Rasch@Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 03/08/2006 10:02:41
On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> visiting a website with firefox causes X to spin out of control and log
> _XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed
> in the logfile.  It will continue to log thousands and thousands of
> these until eventually the disk is full.
> Has anybody else seen this?  I have not yet found a way to reliably
> reproduce this, but it is happening often enough to be a severe problem

When I had problems with the above error msgs filling my /var,
I simply raised the 'nofiles' limit for the X server. I think
the problem occurs with clients using lots of true-type fonts,
since most of the open file descriptor of the X server were
some of these fonts when the error occurred.  At least with
the version of X used here, changing the 'nofiles' for a
running X server with sysctl did not fix the problem -- only
raising the limit before X started worked.