Subject: Re: Dallas semiconductor "one-wire" and envsys(4)
To: Garrett D'Amore <>
From: Jeff Rizzo <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/27/2006 09:31:52

Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> Ben Harris wrote:
>  =20
>> In article <> you write:
>>  =20
>>> I'm currently working on a driver for one-wire devices (such as the
>>> DS18B20 temperature sensor) ...
>>> It's not clear to me whether this would be something appropriate to
>>> bring in to NetBSD or not ...
>>>    =20
>>>      =20
>> We've already got a little bit of one-wire bus support in sys/dev/ic/d=
>> which is used by sys/arch/acorn26/ioc/ssn.c and by something in
>> sys/arch/amiga.  Making it more general might well be useful, and ISTR=
>> the acorn26 implementation never worked properly anyway.  If it had, I=
>> have ported it to NetBSD/acorn32 so that we could get the system Ether=
>> address on acorn32 systems without help from RISC OS.
>> Or, in summary, yes please!
>>  =20
>>    =20
> Didn't I see some recent commits of gpiobus() additional functionality,=

> so that you could have child devices hanging off of gpios?
>  =20

Yes, you did, and that's how I've implemented the onewire bus attachment
in my setup.  Now that I know there's already some stuff in NetBSD
(thanks for the pointer!), I will look into how much sense it makes to
use the existing header.  (the whole thing took me less than two days to
implement, and that long only because I don't actually know what I'm doin=

Seeing as how there's clearly some interest, let me spend a few days
making things presentable, and I'll post a pointer to the code here.

Thanks for the feedback,

Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (Darwin)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -