Subject: Dallas semiconductor "one-wire" and envsys(4)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@tastylime.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/25/2006 09:48:57
--------------enigBAA2AAB6650829152CA8349E

(I debated whether this was more appropriate for current-users or
tech-kern, and decided more potential _users_ would be reached on
current-users.  If more discussion of details is warranted, it should
probably be had on tech-kern)

I'm currently working on a driver for one-wire devices (such as the
DS18B20 temperature sensor) which attaches to gpio(4), and I'm wondering
if anyone else would find this useful - my intended usage is to hook up
a bunch of these devices to a soekris 4511 to monitor various stuff
around the house.

It's not clear to me whether this would be something appropriate to
bring in to NetBSD or not - these devices are not commonly built into
motherboards, and the usual usage is with microcontrollers (PIC, AVR,
etc) - the bus protocol is such that the driver I've written has
DELAY()s of up to 450ms, and I don't see a way to get rid of them and
still retain the correct timing for bitbanging the protocol.  That said,
the chips are fairly inexpensive (the DS18b20 is about US$5 in quantity
1, the DS1822 less than US$4), and are easy to connect up for any
moderately competent hobbyist.

So, on to the questions.

1)  Are people interested in having this available in NetBSD? Is it
appropriate?

2)  Should I do the work to integrate the temperature sensor parts into
the ensys(4) API?  Right now, most of the actual work is done in
userland, with the exception of the bus-scanning code to see what
devices are connected.  If people aren't interested in general (or think
it's a bad idea), I'll probably just leave things this way, because I
don't have particularly complex needs right now.

3) Does anyone have any further suggestions?  The code is currently
"working", though I don't do much with it yet.  If people are
interested, I can clean it up and post it for testing.  (It definitely
needs work before I'm letting _anyone_ see it)

Thanks,

+j