Subject: Re: netboot hangs at nfs_boot
To: None <,>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/23/2006 13:05:54

Jan Schaumann <> wrote:
> I have this rather annoying problem where am64 machines can't netboot,
> hanging after pxeboot(8)ing when trying to mount the NFS root.
> I have a bunch of diskless i386 clients that netboot off a central
> server via pxeboot(8), then find their NFS root and work just fine.  I
> recently added a few amd64 machines to this, but they do not want to
> boot.

Alright, so I thought I had nailed this problem by fixing the network
setup.  So far so good, 2.1 netboots.  Now here's the fun part:  a 3.0
kernel will not netboot.

> After successfully getting the network configuration and starting to
> boot the kernel, it hangs when trying to mount the NFS root:
> nfs_boot: trying DHCP/BOOTP
> nfs_boot: timeout...
> nfs_boot: timeout...
> nfs_boot: timeout...

Yupp.  2.1 works, a 3.0 GENERIC kernel will display the above.  Any

If you can read this, you're not the president.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (NetBSD)