Subject: Re: NetBSD iSCSI HOWTOs
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/22/2006 22:19:46
On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 09:43:02AM +0100, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 08:24:47AM +0000, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> > For those of you wondering what kind of extra gunge is needed in the
> > kernel to support the NetBSD iSCSI target, the answer is "nothing other
> > than IPv4" - the target works at the userlevel.
>
> Does this also mean it does not work (yet?) over IPv6?  How much work would
> be required for this?

Adding IPv6 is on my TODO list, but it's probably fair to say that
it's not that high up, around the same place as "Sell all my guitars",
and "Fix up ballet lessons for myself".

> And another natural question: is there any iSCSI initiator support for
> NetBSD?  (so that we can actually test this :-))

I'm working on a NetBSD initiator, but it won't be in 4.0.

There are, however, iSCSI initiators on other platforms - instructions
for using the Microsoft initiator, along with screenshots, were posted
in my original mail.  There are already existing HOWTOs on setting up
the UNH initiator on Linux, no sense in duplicating them.  I haven't
looked, but suspect there must be something on the initiator that
comes with 2.6.15 and later.

There is also the iSCSI test harness, (in src/usr.sbin/iscsi/harness)
which does all the iSCSI initiator testing from userland.  It is not
installed by default, since it's of little use to anyone except
die-hards.

Now where did I put the number of the ballet school?

Alistair