Subject: Re: NetBSD iSCSI HOWTOs
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@intostroy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/22/2006 17:02:39
Hello!

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 23:22:41 +0000 Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org> wrote:

> If you've been following the source-changes mailing list, you will
> have seen that NetBSD has grown an iSCSI target.

Many thanks for working on this, Alistair!

I would like to made an announcement of this event on the website at
least. Can I use the following paragraphs for this? Please feel free
improve it as you wish:

	NetBSD got iSCSI target support

	Alistair G. Crooks has recently added support for the iSCSI
target to NetBSD codebase. iSCSI is an IETF standard (RFC 3720) for
remote access to block-level storage.  It can be thought of as similar
to NFS, except that an NFS server exports files; the iSCSI target
exports blocks to the iSCSI initiators, which are the clients.
	NetBSD's iSCSI implementation was developed from the original
Intel code (BSD-licensed)  and has been tested with version 1.06 of the
Microsoft initiator, as well as with its own test harness. Please see
HOWTOs on how to setup both <ulink:target> and <ulink:initiator> and
<ulink:original email from Alistair>.

> To help with setting up the iSCSI target, I've prepared a small
> "HOWTO", which outlines the 3 steps that you need to do to set it up.
> These aren't exactly onerous (Step 3 is "Congratulations, you have it
> working").
>
> It's at:
>
> 	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/agc/HOWTO-iSCSI-target.txt
>
> I've also prepared a HOWTO (in PDF form) for configuring the
> Microsoft iSCSI initiator, connecting to the target, formatting a
> partition on the blocks that the target is presenting, and then
> using the new drive partition. That document is bigger, but it has
> lots of pretty pictures, for obvious reasons. It's at:
>
> 	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/agc/HOWTO-iSCSI-initiator.pdf

And thanks for providing startup documentation for configuring both
target and initiator. It would really help users a lot!

--
Cheers,
Mishka.

P.S. BTW, is there any initiator for NetBSD?