Subject: Re: tmpfs as root file system
To: Chris Tribo <ctribo@dtcc.edu>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/21/2006 20:05:04
On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 04:38:11PM -0500, Chris Tribo wrote:

> MFS != MD   /* MFS and TMPFS is not MD */
>
> You could however mount tmpfs file systems from the memory disk root
> file system that you stuff inside the kernel image, or maybe roll
> your own /etc/rc to populate a tmpfs file system. I've done that with
> mfs file systems on a firewall box before I learned to effectively
> use crunchgen.

	Well if you've got the files already sitting on the MD you might as well
leave them there, instead of taking up even more memory.

If you really want tmpfs as root, you could try union mounting it over md...
but I wouldn't surpised if it quickly panic'd the kernel.
	mount_tmpfs tmpfs /mnt
	mount_union /mnt /

eric