Subject: DP83815 ethernet chips, revision numbers
To: None <>
From: Peter Seebach <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/18/2006 16:42:27
I'm trying to fix the sip driver to support the 83816 ethernet controller.

The obvious difference I'm seeing is that, on this hardware, there's no MAC
address in the EEPROM; the chip has to be configured from some other
non-volatile storage.

Does anyone out there have something known to be an 83816?

A discussion on a mailing list said that the 816 claims to be a later revision
815, but mine says:

sip0 at pci0 dev 1 function 0: NatSemi DP83815 10/100 Ethernet, rev 00

so I'm probably hosed at telling which is which, apart from the optimistic
guess that, if the MAC address is all f's, there's probably no EEPROM.