Subject: Re: Splash screen boot HOWTO
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 02/18/2006 16:18:22
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> I haven't looked at your kernel code, but couldn't it default to 'no
> splash screen', even when the driver is present?

vesafb works fine without a splash screen. This functionality is only
enabled if options SPLASHSCREEN and SPLASHSCREEN_PROGRESS are in your
kernel config.

> For another approach, perhaps things should be changed so that the
> wsconsctl is harmless even if done unconditionally, without the kernel
> drivers.

If the above options aren't in the kernel, the wsconsctl calls have no
effect. I even redirect their output to /dev/null so you'll never notice
that they're being called.

Cheers,
Jared