Subject: Re: Midrange machine + NetBSD. Comments?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: John R. Shannon <john@johnrshannon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/14/2006 04:03:08
Marc Tooley wrote:
> I'm picking up a nice machine for other testing purposes. It'll be
> midrange:
>
> Tyan Thunder K8W (S2885)
> LSI MegaRAID SATA 300-8X 8PT
> 8 x 250GB Maxtor SATA2/16MB/etc (for the MegaRAID)
> 1 x 250GB SATA2 for multibooted OSes
> 8 GB DDR400, ECC Registered RAM
> 2 x AMD Opteron 246
>

> .... and basically, I'm wondering whether there's anyone else running
> NetBSD on similar hardware with a useful degree of success?

I'm running a somewhat similar configuration:

Supermicro X6DH8-XG2
2     RAID-LSI1504LP   LSI LOGIC LOW PROF 4 PORT
8     HDRV-400WDYR     WD 400GB SATA RE2
       4 drives per controller
1     HDRV-S36SCLW320  SEAGATE 36GB INT U320/3.5LP 68P 10K
1     CPU -X3.2-1-8-P  INTEL XEON 3.2GHZ 800FSB 1M
       dual capable
2     MMD -1G27ERLS35  DDR 1G PC2700 ECC REG

The system is used for a network storage server. The SCSI disk is used
for the system disk. The SATA disks are configured as two RAID 5 arrays.
  At the time I ordered the system, the newer LSI raid controllers did
not have driver support.

The system runs well using the AMD64 port. Because I'm only using 2GB of
memory, I can't answer you large memory question.

--
John R. Shannon
john@johnrshannon.com