Subject: Re: reboot vs shutdown -r
To: Marcin Jessa <>
From: Pavel Cahyna <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/13/2006 12:01:35
On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 11:38:09AM +0100, Marcin Jessa wrote:
> Hi guy.
> I wondered if reboot could be made "RAID safe" ?

Linux version of reboot does it. Reboot detects if it was called during a
normal reboot sequence. If it was not, it executes shutdown -r.

This is IMHO an ugly workaround. Maybe reboot and halt could be moved to
/libexec (out of the $PATH) so that people have to learn to use shutdown?

> It seems like my RAID1 on two SATA drives was damaged after I
> accidently used reboot instead of shutdown -r. My kernel panics trying
> to read raid drives after boot. The reason I typed reboot was just

This should not happen, regardless of reboot...