Subject: Re: Adsl and DHCP.
To: Ghislain Garcon <gigi_8439@yahoo.fr>
From: None <segv@netctl.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/2006 12:07:48
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:30:27 +0100
Ghislain Garcon <gigi_8439@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> No body problems with ADSL lines and DHCP?
>
>  I'm using NetBSD 3 rebuild from a cvs checkout. I use an ADSL line
> and the configuration is done with DHCP on an ethernet interface ex0. On
> startup the DHCP configuration is ok. The dhclient renew the IP every
> 60s.
> Sometimes the ISP restart the connexion and after this, even if the
> line is up, I can't acces to the internet (no ping, no dns resolution).
> In the logs, I can see that the dhclient renew correctly the IP until
> one time and then no message anymore.
> If I stop the dhclient and restart it with "dhclient ex0", it seems to
> renew correctly the IP but there is still no ping and no dns lookup. My
> resolv.conf is ok, the dhclient.conf file looks good, it asks for Ip,
> netmask, DNS and router.
> Then if i restart the machine, everything goes right again until next
> line reset.
>

> Thanks
>
> Ghislain.

What's your network topology, i.e. is your NetBSD machine connected to ADSL
modem? What kind of modem is that? How many DHCP servers do you run on your LAN?

Also can you provide the following information when Internet connection is
working on NetBSD and when it's not working:

cat /etc/resolv.conf
ifconfig -a
netstat -r

When the Internet connection drops, does running '/etc/rc.d/dhclient restart'
bring it back??