Subject: i386 boot floppy size
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/09/2006 19:53:11
On Thu, 09 Feb 2006, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> > Why are you bothering to waste your effort on that, when the obvious
> > right thing to do is to move to more floppies?
>
> Why are you responding to David's message in such a dismissive way,
> when if we can't get the size of the "2.88MB" floppy image under
> control, our installation CD won't be able to boot at all on systems
> that support only the virtual-floppy El Torito boot method?

Do i386 machines exist that have none of the following?

  1. floppy drive with BIOS able to boot from floppy;
  2. CD drive with BIOS able to boot in hard disk emulation
     mode or native mode (or whatever they are called);
  3. USB or other removable media slot with BIOS able to
     boot from a

I would have expected the machines that lack (1) to have (2) or (3) or
both.

--apb (Alan Barrett)