Subject: Re: LC Display 1600x1200 with Matrox G400 (connected via DVI)
To: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/2006 00:11:58
On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 07:43:15PM +0100, Timo Schoeler wrote:
> >The HIS Radeon9250 card I have works fine with the Dell 2005 monitor
> >at 1600x1200 with NetBSD 3.0/current out of the box.
> >
> >	David
>
> to keep that thread warm:
>
> i got myself exactly this card (128MByte VRAM, 64bit wide bus -- more
> than enough) but it does not provide DVI-D signalling.
>
> the description says DVI-I which implies that digital, analogue and DDC
> signalling are available.
>
> the card only provides DVI-A (analogue) output and has a *bad* signal
> quality, one can see the ghost pictures meters away (on the LCD as well
> as on my Sony FD 21" CRT).
>
> to verify everything works (read: the display and the cable use DVI-D
> when available) i connected it with my G4 and -- tataa -- DVI-D comes up
> instantly.
>
> so, does your HIS Radeon provide DVI-D or do you run your LCD on
> analogue signalling...?

I've got it connected with the cable that came with the monitor, which
then says DVI-D.  The monitor won't let me change any picture settings, and
all the pixels are spot on. (A good test is a wide xterm window with a line
of 'm' chars in it.  When the clocks are out (as they always are for analogue)
the vertical lines (every other pixel) vary in width.)

The analogue output (on the other connector) isn't as good as on my old
AIW-128.

> to my understanding this is really independent from software, so that if
> the card had DVI-D it'd connect to the display that way as soon as i
> power up the machine...

The default for the driver is to output to the VGA be default.  If the DVI
is connected the VGA contains a 'TV-out' resolution (640x480@50Hz) panning
image of the main screen.  I've found out how to get both output to
display the same image - at different refresh rates.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk