Subject: Re: LC Display 1600x1200 with Matrox G400 (connected via DVI)
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/07/2006 19:43:15
David Laight wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 03:27:17PM +0100, Timo Schoeler wrote:
>
>>so, can anybody recommend a card with DVI-D output, passively cooled,
>>and with good support from XFree/X.org?
>

> The HIS Radeon9250 card I have works fine with the Dell 2005 monitor
> at 1600x1200 with NetBSD 3.0/current out of the box.
>
> 	David

to keep that thread warm:

i got myself exactly this card (128MByte VRAM, 64bit wide bus -- more
than enough) but it does not provide DVI-D signalling.

the description says DVI-I which implies that digital, analogue and DDC
signalling are available.

the card only provides DVI-A (analogue) output and has a *bad* signal
quality, one can see the ghost pictures meters away (on the LCD as well
as on my Sony FD 21" CRT).

to verify everything works (read: the display and the cable use DVI-D
when available) i connected it with my G4 and -- tataa -- DVI-D comes up
instantly.

so, does your HIS Radeon provide DVI-D or do you run your LCD on
analogue signalling...?

to my understanding this is really independent from software, so that if
the card had DVI-D it'd connect to the display that way as soon as i
power up the machine...

tia & best,

timo