Subject: Making ntpd ignore ipv6?
To: None <>
From: Peter Seebach <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/05/2006 18:03:50
So, I'm trying to run ntpd, and it fails because of too many open files.  A
bit of poking suggests it's binding to anything and everything it can find,
and ipv6 provides it with too many options.

I have absolutely no anticipation that any of the hardware involved will ever
need to exchange ntp packets over ipv6, but I can't see any way to control
this behavior that doesn't involve rebuilding.

Is there a sane solution for running ntpd on a NetBSD box with IPv6 in the
kernel?  I don't want to increase file limits, that strikes me as defeating
the point of having them in the first place...